Saturday, September 13, 2008

What I'm Reading

I find that reading 15-30 minutes before bed (if the book is really good, then it can turn into hours) clears my head of the worries of the day and I sleep better. The next day, I can jump into the grind with energy. Here's what has been by my bed recently.

Path of the Assassin by Brad Thor. This was good. Clearly influenced by Robert Ludlum. The depth of character for Scot Harvath is not that of Jason Bourne, but it was enjoyable and an easy/fast read.

Ghost: Confessions of a Counterterrorism Agent by Fred Burton. After 50 pages of the author being overwhelmed with paperwork this book was fantastic. I really enjoyed the first hand accounts of interrogation (no torture) and putting the pieces together of a very complicated puzzle.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexanderf Solzhenitsyn. An account of one day in a labor camp in Siberia. Saw this in the Economist and it caught my interest. Starting this one tonight.

image: maveric2003 via Flickr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that our tastes in books are too varied. I've read a couple by Thor and enjoyed them for the yarns that they were. The counterterrorism book sounds quite interesting. But Solzhenitsyn? That's where we are going to part ways. Way too intense and deep for my bedtime reading. I'm impressed!