Monday, January 7, 2008

RSS

As I've started this blog and notified friends and family - I'm surprised to discover how many people do not use RSS feeds. RSS is short for "Real Simple Syndication" and allows a user to subscribe to a feed eliminating the need to visit a site to check for updates. Think of it like a newspaper subscription in place of having to go to the corner newspaper rack or stand.

Subscribing to feeds requires a reader. After weeks of comparison shopping I've settled on Google Reader. The features far outweigh any privacy concerns I have. (Remember, "don't be evil".) It's web based and allows me to check my feeds from any computer.

If you want a local client, Attensa offers one for free. I've also used it - it plays well with Outlook and offers a desktop alert when new items arrive.

My 2 cents.

No comments: