My wife's grandfather (Pop) died last week. About 10 years ago, I worked with him every day for about 5 years and have some good memories. For the past few days I've been reliving those years. Pop's wife passed 10 years ago and at the funeral he read an address from the Heber C. Kimball. I've recently realized how wise and inspired he was to read the address. Below is the text of what he read. Forgive me for the length - but all can take something good from this inspired counsel.
Address to My Children
by Heber C. Kimball
To My Beloved Children, Sent Greeting:
I desire to speak to my children this morning, that they may be wise and honored of God and of men; and I pray that I may be inspired by the Holy Ghost.
My soul is swallowed up in God. As to the things of this world, they are lost to me. I do not feel concerning them as I have heretofore; I only care for the things of eternity. When I behold the great things of God and the glory which awaits the righteous, and when I reflect that the road is so straight that but few find it, I feel to pray the Lord to bless my children and save them. I am thankful to God because I live in a day when some will find it and will become Gods.
A man may become a God as Jesus Christ did. For this he must prepare himself while in the flesh, that he may be enthroned as a judge is enthroned. I have a desire that my children be crowned, and if I be enthroned I want to have the privilege of wafting myself by the power of God, to visit my children. Everything we see here is typical of what will be hereafter.
Oftentimes when I hear people talk of their difficulties, it appears like foolishness to me; I scarcely notice them. I want my children to be an example to others, and I want the older ones to be an example to the younger children, and not only to them, but to their friends and to their sex. My children, listen to the instructions of your parents, and when they say to you, do a thing, do it. Overcome every spirit of tyranny and oppression and be as clay in the hands of the potter.
The time will come when you will have children, and you will have tender feelings for them, and will then look back and appreciate the tender feelings that your parents had for you. My soul has mourned for the welfare and salvation of my children. When I look at the things of the eternal world, I feel willing to make sacrifices that I may enjoy the privileges which God is willing to give to His people. When I speak to my children, I speak as a father, and there is no person on the earth that has more tender feelings for his children than I have. I want the older ones to be a pattern for the younger ones, and inasmuch as there is hardness, put it away; for it is like a seed which, if it be cultivated, grows to a tree, grows to maturity, and when it brings forth fruit it brings forth hardness and tyranny. We should always endeavor to plant peace and kindness. Remember always to be affectionate to your parents; for you will have a posterity, because God has promised it; and if the oldest are not faithful, God will raise a posterity from the younger.
I want my children to show proper respect to all men, and be gentle to them, as you wish they should be gentle to you. Be subject to all the officers, both civil and religious, and reverence them in their offices. When you speak of the Prophet and the Apostles, speak well of them and not reproachfully. Reverence all men in their respective places, and never speak disrespectfully of them, nor of any person on the earth. If you cannot speak well, keep your mouth shut. If you do this you shall be respected as your father has been, for this has always been my course.
Be attentive to these instructions and be faithful in all things, and you shall be enthroned in the kingdom of God and shall increase from generation to generation, and there shall be no end of increase. When I come into the presence of God, He will permit me to stand at your head as Adam will stand at the head of all families of the earth. Don't give way to evil, my children, lay aside all wickedness, and never suffer yourselves to go into wicked company or corrupt places. If we give way to sin even a little, it will conceive in our bosoms and grow. I know if I am faithful no good things will be withheld from me, but if I make a misstep it may all be taken away. We are acting in view of eternity; we are laying a foundation for eternity. If you remember these things, God will bless you with glory and eternal life.
I want you to remember that inasmuch as you honor your father, when you become old and are engaged in the ministry you shall be honored. The Gospel of Jesus Christ as revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith is true; I know it, for God has revealed it to me. Every man who rejects it will be damned, and every one who receives it will be saved. Baptism is a sign of the resurrection, and it is the password whereby we enter into the kingdom of God. All the ordinances are signs of things in the heavens. I want my children to observe these things, for we have come into a dispensation when we have got to open a door to receive all dispensations of old. When I have been oppressed by the superstitions of this world, I have felt as though it would burst the earth. I want to become just what I ought to be.
My children, never cultivate a spirit of covetousness. When you see anybody that is poor, and you have means, assist them; and when a poor man or a poor woman comes along, take them into your house and feed and clothe them. Always enlist on the side of the oppressed. This principle was always in me, and I want my children to cherish it. If you show mercy, you shall have mercy. The character of the Almighty is noble, and none will come into His kingdom only those who are noble, kind, merciful, virtuous and obedient. The course I take in this life will be handed down to future generations. You will hand it down from generation to generation, and all records which are made here on earth will be had in heaven.
Now, my children, God recognizes all that you do. Never cultivate anything wicked, corrupt or dishonest, Instead of taking a penny from a neighbor, give him two. As you do unto others so shall it be measured unto you again. Let these instructions sink deep into your minds; for God is bound to bestow these blessings upon us. Even so. Amen.
Thank You for Serving Our Country.
2 years ago
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing this! I will share it with my family.
(Glad I clicked on Chuck Charley from S's blog...) Great post~! I had forgotten about that. I need to read that more often.
Give our heart felt condulences to Stacia and her Family. They will be in our prayers.
Post a Comment